PLEŚNIAK WITH RHUBARB – CAKE RECIPE – “Pleśniak” is a popular type of cake in Poland. Name derives from it having a white layer resembling a mould, pleśń in Polish. While the origin of its name doesn’t sound appetizing I assure you this cake is delicious like no other 🙂
PLEŚNIAK WITH RHUBARB – CAKE RECIPE
- 290 g/2½ cups flour
- 250 g/8¾ oz butter
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 150 g/¾ cup sugar
- 2 x 1½ oz cream instant pudding
- 80 ml/⅓ cup oil
- 2-3 tbsp strawberry jam
- 350 g/12¼ oz rhubarb
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/380°F.
- Take a large bowl and put flour inside. Add butter, powdered sugar, egg yolks and baking powder, then knead everything into a smooth dough. Cut away between a quarter and a third of it, wrap it in food foil and put away in the freezer for the time of preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Line a 20×30 cm/8×12 in baking pan with parchment paper. Grab the remaining pastry and spread it with your hand over the surface of the pan. Poke the dough with a fork multiple times and bake for around 15 minutes, until it turns golden.
- In the meantime prepare the filling: pour the whites into a mixing bowl, add salt and start beating. When the whites start to foam, gradually add sugar one spoon at a time, the foam should start get thicker and shiny. Add instant pudding, then oil slowly, mixing all the time.
- When the base is baked and cooled down a little spread the jam over it. Then, pour the filling into the pan and spread it evenly. On top of that lay down sliced rhubarb, then take the set aside dough from the freezer and grate it over everything.
- Put the cake in the oven for another 30-35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Tutaj znajdziecie przepis w języku polskim: https://przepisyjoli.com/2017/05/budyniowy-plesniak-z-rabarbarem/